Wednesday, January 14, 2015

This Land Was Made for You and Me

For the past week and a half, we (UCSB international teacher candidates) have been visiting different classrooms/schools in Hadsten, Denmark to introduce ourselves and to share a bit about life in America. Of the many rooms we were assigned to visit, we presented in the classes of two of the three children in my host family. I wanted to give a special thanks to my colleague Charlie who trudged to my house in the cold, electric guitar in hand, to help me do a mini presentation for the youngest kiddo so that he wouldn't feel like he was missing out. We even deemed it "A Special Show for Frederik." Nikoline, who has just started English lessons this year at the age of 8, joined us for our closing song. I'm still working on learning the Danish translation my host mom wrote out...


(I realize that the song is a critical response to "God Bless America", but the kiddos don't need to know that. Besides, I've really enjoyed singing the verse "Nobody living can ever stop me/As I go walking that freedom highway/Nobody living can make me turn back now/This land was made for you and me." Especially the last line. Yeah, especially that last line.)

No comments:

Post a Comment